Current Open Positions
Public Partners can save you time and energy by taking the lead on candidate searches, resume reviews, and interviews. Below is a list of current candidate searches led by Public Partners.
Tarentum, PA – Borough Manager
Make a difference in today’s Tarentum: a community with a proud heritage and promising future. Be part of its resurgence, which is well underway, with its resilient housing stock, invigorated business community, excellent mix of services and industry, varied recreational opportunities and solid financial footing.
Join in the vision of a vibrant, engaged Borough Council unified whole heartedly in its mission to enhance a thriving Tarentum, which they have loved “forever” or fell in love with: “a small Town with a big heart”.
Tarentum shares strong community values evident in neighborhoods and businesses. Its Business Action Committee, co-chaired by two Council members nurtures a business rebirth that the next Borough Manager will help to sustain. New businesses, like a coffee and sweet and shop, clothing and youth sports equipment and a Merle Norman Cosmetics are opening regularly. The Manos Art Gallery enhances the business district and strong community of antique collectors. The Pittsburgh Brewing Company is renovating the former Pittsburgh Plate Glassworks on the edge of town into a state-of-the-art brewery that plans to boast a brewery store and waterfront restaurant, museum and marina. Momentum to renovate or replace housing stock is on a trajectory to sustain or increase property values. The bulk of this work is completed. Home values are one of the Borough’s best kept secrets. The Borough has partnered with neighbors Brackenridge and Harrison Township to create a joint Comprehensive Plan.
Tarentum’s dynamic Recreation Board provides traditional opportunities and its Market/Holiday Light night and Fall Festival. Its Riverview Memorial Park showcases an amphitheater with summer-long entertainment, gazebo, food service and historical items surrounded by manicured grounds and a walking pathway which underscore why it is known as the “Jewel Along the Allegheny”.
Tarentum, with its population of about 4500 is nestled above the northern shore of the Allegheny River approximately 25 minutes northeast of downtown Pittsburgh, looks to find a person for the position of Borough Manager with:
- Enthusiasm for public service; a strong work ethic which encompasses the role of recommending policy initiatives and carrying out decisions of Council.
- A positive, energetic attitude; creativity; excellent time management and priority and goal setting and personal accountability; willingness to learn or develop areas that may be unique to the Borough.
- Excellent verbal/written communication skills and skills in current technology; ability to relate well to Borough residents, business owners and operators, institutions and other government and not-for-profit officials.
- Sound ability to oversee preparation and management of the annual budget, short and long-term planning and projects and contract performance.
- Leadership skills, knowledge, and experience to manage and oversee the Board’s agenda, administration, finance, human resources, collective bargaining, citizen communications; strength in planning and community development and redevelopment; help sustain the excellent relationship with (3) volunteer fire companies; building inspection, code enforcement; public works, sanitary sewer line maintenance and billing, parks and recreation. Water plant operation and Electric distribution and billing (2200 accounts) oversight are significant components of the position. Solid waste service is contracted and billed in-house.
Tarentum’s 2022 Annual Budget of $10.75 million consists of $3.8 million in the General Fund, a $1.5 million Water Fund, $4.14 Electric Fund and $1.06 million Sewer Fund; Liquid Fuels Fund of $171,219, Recreation Fund $15,000 and Pension Fund $4000. Its Mayor oversees the ten (10) member Police Department of excellent repute. Fifteen (15) full-time and 3 to 4 part-time non-uniformed employees perform administrative, finance, school crossing, code enforcement and public works, water, sewer maintenance and electric distribution functions .
Other requirements for this position include:
- BA/BS degree, preferably in Public or Business Administration, Management, Planning, Finance, Engineering or field that for the position which is acceptable to Borough Council.
- Understanding of Pennsylvania municipal laws; knowledge of the Pennsylvania Borough Code desirable.
- Five (5) or more years of municipal management/department head experience, at least 2 as a Municipal Manager is desired; relevant experience in a related field may be considered. An MPA/MBA/Law Degree may substitute for one or more years of experience as determined by Council.
- Understanding of and participation in regional governance and offering of services such as through the Upper Allegheny Joint Sanitary Authority and the Allegheny Valley Council of Governments.
Competitive salary/excellent benefits.
Candidates should submit a letter of interest, resume, 3 professional references and expected salary range and contact information to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Resumes and accompanying materials accepted until position is filled. The Borough of Tarentum is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Borough Council would like the successful candidate to be part of the community whether a resident or not.
Chief Financial Officer – Cranberry Township
Cranberry Township, a Aaa-rated municipality in western Pennsylvania, is seeking a Chief Financial Officer (CFO). This newly created position serves as one of three Assistant Managers in the Township reporting directly to the Township Manager. The CFO is primarily focused on the financial strategy and long-term planning aspects of the Township. The CFO will establish, implement, and maintain alignment across all operations to ensure the long-term growth, sustainability, and stability of the Township. This position oversees the departments of Finance, Human Resources, and Information Technology, all of which have a director who reports directly to the CFO.
Cranberry Township has a General Fund budget of roughly $22 million and a total budget, combining governmental and enterprise funds, of roughly $60 million. The Township has about 150 full-time employees, approximately half of which are covered by one of three collective bargaining agreements.
The ideal candidate’s background will include experience with strategic planning, cross-departmental collaboration, applying best business management practices, and motivating staff as an inspirational leader. A bachelor’s degree in business administration, public administration, finance, or related field is required along with 10 years of relevant experience including 5 years of supervisory experience. Preferred qualifications include a master’s degree, and certification as a CPFO or CPA. Experience in local government is less important than experience as a leader and strategic thinker.
The starting salary range for this position is $110,000 – $125,000. Cranberry Township offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision, life insurance, paid time off, and a generous defined contribution pension plan.
The full job description can be viewed here. This position is open until filled. First review of applicants will occur on May 25, 2022. Following this date, applications will be screened on an ongoing basis. The Township is contracting with ALOM Public Partners to conduct this recruitment effort. Questions about the process can be directed to email@example.com