Toby served as Town Manager of the Town of McCandless, PA for more than 35 years. He previously served as the Borough Manager of Selinsgrove, PA for more than 2 ½ years and as an Administrative Intern and Acting Assistant Manager of Edgewood Borough, PA. He was a Navy Supply Corps Officer for more than five years active and 5 1/2 years of reserve duty reaching the rank of Lieutenant Commander.
During these years of public service, Toby honed his management skills and expertise, applying them to the many various areas of local governance. He completed many projects in zoning, planning, public works, traffic management, administration, pensions, budgeting, finance, solid waste and recycling, storm water management, fire service, building construction, recreation facilities and intergovernmental cooperation.
Boards and other service:
- North Hills Council of Governments: Past Chair, Administrative Committee; Member, Storm Water Management Committee; and Personnel Committee Chair
- Allegheny North Tax Collection District (ANTCD), Chair; Vice Chair and Secretary
- Association of Pennsylvania Municipal Management, Past President
- Municipal Risk Management Loss Control Committee, Member; Chair since 1998
- Municipal Benefit Services Trust, Member and Secretary
- International City and County Management Association (ICMA): Host Committee Co-chair; Pittsburgh 2007 International Conference
- ICMA Credentialed Manager, recently named Life Member
- Pennsylvania Legislative Task Force on managing development with potential landslide conditions and developments of regional and significant impact, Member
- The Pennsylvania State University, B.A. in Political Science
- University of Pittsburgh, MPA (with a Local Government Management Certificate; named class co-outstanding scholar)
- Catholic University graduate studies